Scribblenauts is a franchise/series of puzzle/adventure games developed by 5th Cell and published by WB Games. Their gameplay revolves around the possibility for the player to summon any object simply by typing their names. The main character of the series is a boy named Maxwell.
- Scribblenauts (September 15, 2009), Nintendo DS. Known in Japan as Flash Puzzle: Maxwell's Mysterious Notebook)
- Super Scribblenauts (October 12, 2010), Nintendo DS.
- Scribblenauts Remix (October 7, 2011), iOS. It includes levels and gameplay elements from both previous titles.
- Scribblenauts Unlimited (November 13, 2012), Nintendo 3DS, Wii U, PC. Also released in 2015 for iOS and Android.
- Scribblenauts Collection (March 5, 2013), Nintendo DS. Collection including Scribblenauts and Super Scribblenauts.
- Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure (September 24, 2013), Nintendo 3DS, Wii U, PC.
- Scribblenauts Showdown (March 6, 2018), Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One.
- Scribblenauts Mega Pack (September 18, 2018), Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One.
The very first game introduced players to the concept and had a major impact. It had no story, but the story became more apparent in future games.
A Nintendo DS sequel to Scribblenauts titled Super Scribblenauts was released on October 12, 2010. In addition to addressing issues with the control scheme, Super Scribblenauts includes a larger vocabulary including the use of adjectives to modify nouns, influencing the objects' behavior.
Scribblenauts Remix, a version of Scribblenauts for the iOS platform, was released by Warner Bros. Interactive on October 12, 2011. Ported to the platform by developers Iron Galaxy, the iOS version provides forty levels from both Scribblenauts and its sequel, along with ten new levels for the iOS. The mechanics of the game are based on Super Scribblenauts, allowing for the use of adjectives in addition to nouns. The game uses built-in features of iOS, such as the touch keyboard, and was released simultaneously with iOS version 5, incorporating new features such as cloud storage to play the game across multiple devices. An Android version was released on June 26, 2013.
A fourth title, Scribblenauts Unlimited, was released for Wii U, PC and Nintendo 3DS on November 13, 2012. The game features multiple worlds which Maxwell must find out how to help various non-player characters to gain Starites, using the extended vocabulary abilities of Super Scribblenauts to solve puzzles. An Android version was released on December 15, 2015.
A fifth game in the franchise, Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure, was announced in development for Wii U, PC and Nintendo 3DS, featuring over 2000 characters from the DC Comics universe. The game was released on September 24, 2013.
A sixth game in the series, titled Scribblenauts: Fighting Words, was in development for iOS since 2014, but was cancelled in 2016 after 5th Cell laid off 45 employees, including lead animator Tim Borrelli.
A seventh game in the series, Scribblenauts Showdown is a party game for up to four players, using mini-games based on the Scribblenauts formula. The game is being developed by Shiver Entertainment and published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. It was released for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One on March 6, 2018.
The eighth game in the series, Scribblenauts Mega Pack is a collection featuring Scribblenauts Unlimited and Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure with new objects, characters and levels. The game was developed by 5th Cell and Shiver Entertainment and published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. It was released for the PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and Xbox One on September 18, 2018